With the changes in the hormones during pregnancy this can cause changes in emotions. This can affect how you feel and react to situations throughout the pregnancy and into the postpartum period. Bringing a newborn into the world can be something unfamiliar as well as daunting for new and experienced mothers and can contribute to changes in emotions.
Throughout the pregnancy there can many different triggers for these emotions and being aware can help you to deal with them. Sometimes in can be all the changes in the body or having many of the common discomforts can produce varying emotions. Other issues such as conflicts, relation issues, work stress, finance issues or fear of the unknown can all exacerbate or contribute to emotional issues. Also, during the beginning of the pregnancy past emotions can also be triggered especially if there been previous losses or other pregnancies that were challenging. Which ever is the case there are some things you can do in the pregnancy that can help prevent of lessen the effects.
- Eat a balanced meal with key nutrients such as: with Omega-3 essential fatty acids, folate, vitamin B12 and Iron.
- Exercise at least 30 minutes at least 5 days a week.
- Get a good nights sleep
- Take naps during the day
- Nutrition and physical health will positively help with negative emotions.
- Become active in your community and neighborhood.
- Reach out to family and friends talk or support
- Reconnecting with support persons or therapists, especially if these emotions become wore or interfere with your daily life
It is always important to notify your healthcare provider of any changes in your emotions, this is important to having a healthy pregnancy.